Friday 4 July 2008

An early bath

Tuesday 18 September 2007

After arriving at the ODG my foot problem worsened. My right foot, from the ball to the toes erupted into one large deep-seated blister. I treated it as best I could and retired to bed, hoping the rest would relieve the problem. By morning it had, if anything, worsened.

Over breakfast I considered my options: further progress on foot that day was impossible. I could have a rest day, get the bus to Keswick and hope to continue the following day to Caldbeck or I could recognise my position, forgo the accommodation deposits (a more painful proposition than walking on glass, let alone blisters) and go home.

I admitted defeat and slunk away from the hotel to catch the morning bus. I pretended to myself that I was postponing my final decision until arrival in Ambleside. I knew then, though, that the trip was over and an “early bath” was inevitable.

In the event the decision to abort was sound; it would be several days before I could walk without discomfort.

As on my last trip in the Dales, I was pleased that the physical challenges of the walk presented no problems. With my history of foot problems I had taken an imprudent risk in walking the trail in new boots, and lost. I hoped to resume the walk early in the New Year.

No comments: